Experienced Lawyers Properly Handling Patents
Inventions are worth protecting, but obtaining a patent can be difficult without an attorney guiding the process. Our attorneys at King & Schickli, PLLC, personally assist clients in protecting their intellectual property. Since opening our doors in 1982, we have prosecuted more than 1,200 U.S. Patents.
Located in the heart of Lexington, Kentucky, we advise clients throughout the state and country on the complexities of patent law. From helping clients prepare and prosecute patent applications to assisting with patent appeals, our attorneys help individual inventors, small and medium-sized companies, and large corporations protect their inventions.
Working Through Every Area of Patent Law
We handle every aspect of patent law, including:
- Patent application preparation and prosecution. As part of preparing a patent application, we conduct patentability searches for our clients. Once we have evaluated the patentability, we then help you obtain a patent by drafting and filing the application.
- Infringement clearance. We also are skilled at reviewing new products and confirming clearance from infringement of the patent rights of others. In the event of an infringement situation, we can also advise as to licensing options or design around opportunities.
- Patent litigation. We will bring and defend enforcement and infringement proceedings. Our services may be as simple as issuing a cease and desist letter on your behalf to stop the infringement or as complex as taking the matter to trial.
- Patent marking. Recent court decisions have established that proper patent marking is not as easy as it used to appear. We handle the intricate rules associated with patent marking. We can help you determine how to properly mark your products and defend you against potential exposure you might have with how you are currently marking your products.
- Patent appeals. We assist clients with patent applications that have been denied when the Patent Examiner does not agree about the patentability of an invention. We help clients show that the patent office was incorrect in applying the law, interpreting the claims in the patent application, or interpreting and applying of the prior art.
- Patent claim interpretation and analysis. Patent claims define your invention. If you are an existing patent holder and you need assistance interpreting what your patent means or determining whether you are protected, we can help. We also assist patent-holding clients with reexamination and reissue proceedings.
- Patent licensing. We help clients that own patent rights negotiate licensing agreements for those rights to be used by someone else.
Choosing a Patent Type
There are four different types of patent applications: design, utility, provisional, and plant. To learn more about how to choose the correct patent type, it is important to seek advice from a qualified patent attorney.
To talk to one of our experienced patent lawyers, call 859-274-4287 or contact us online.